Get ready to kick start the Chinese New Year celebrations with a classic and flavorful dish - Lap Mei Fan. This traditional Chinese recipe is made by cooking Langit rice in a claypot with your choice of Chinese cured meats and a blend of amazing ingredients by our peers. This dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any family gathering or special occasion. So let's get started!
2x Lap Cheong
2x Yun Cheong
1x pc Cured duck breast
1x pc Cured pork belly
1x Spring onion
1x Knob of Ginger
3x cups of Beras Adan/Salleh
2x tbsp of Gula Melaka Soy Sauce
1x tbsp of First draw soy sauce
1x tbsp of Gula Apong granules
1x tbsp of Oyster sauce
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Blanch the cured meats for 1 minute.
- Remove and place them in a steamer. Steam lap cheong and yun cheong for 15minutes and remove once ready. Continue to steam cured duck breast and pork belly until a fork can go through the meat.
- Save the cured meat juices. DO NOT THROW AWAY! Add in to the sauce mixture.
- Let cured meats cool. Slice them and place aside.
- Wash and place 3 cups of Langit white rice in a claypot. Add in 3 cups of water and 1 tsp of cooking oil.
- Bring the claypot to a boil. Turn the flame down to small and let the rice cook for 10-15minutes until the rice has fully absorbed the water.
- Turn off the flame and let it steam for 5 minutes.
- Place the cured meats on cooked rice using your creativity. Place minced ginger on sliced cured meats.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp of cooking oil along the inside wall of the claypot. Cover and reheat on the stove.
- Optional step for crusty rice: Once you hear the crackling sound of the claypot, count till 20. Then, tilt the claypot to the 6 o’clock direction. Once you hear the crackling sound, tilt to the 9 o’clock direction.
- Repeat step 10 for 12 o’clock and 3 o’clock direction.
- Place the claypot back to it’s upright position and turn the flame up to medium-high for 1 minute.
- Pour 1 cap of Shao Xing Wine onto the rim of the claypot with the lid on. Turn off the flame and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, add all the sauce mixture ingredients together with the saved cured meat juices.
- Pour the sauce over the rice and garnish with chopped spring onions.
And we're all ready to impress our hungry diners!